Friday, March 20, 2009

literacy #3 blog entry #4

Chinese chess, or xiangqi in Chinese, is perhaps the most popular board game in the world, played by millions of people in China, other parts of Asia, and wherever Chinese have settled.
It exercises the brain in much the same way as western (international) chess, but it is much faster moving. The movement of the pieces tends to be more fluid, the positions more open. In a sense, it is all “middle game.” There is no careful buildup of pawn structures, the major pieces come into play immediately and drawn-out endgames are rare.
I regard Chinese chess as my literacy because not only I love it but I can play it very well and benefit from it as well. I start to play chess when I was eight. Since Chinese chess is a kind of brain exercise, it helps me develop deep thinking towards the things. It shapes my value and form my initial opinion toward the life. Also, it helps me become a patient and calm person, which is very important in our way to success. In order to compete chess with other adversaries from other cities, we all need to travel to a certain city and get together to play. Several days’ spending with friends is a very valuable experience in my life. During the time we spent together, I slowly learn how to understand others, how to become a considerate person and how to put the benefit of the team in the first place. They all play a crucial role in my later life. Furthermore, chess present the love from my father. It is mu father that teach me to play and encourage me whenever I fail. I will never forget.
Chess is very important to me because it is my everyday literacy. I can play it and benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment